Planning Approval:-

Whether a Planning Application and Approval is required depends on the amount of change to the street scene.

If you are in doubt as to whether your proposed development would require Planning Approval, you may find the interactive guides on the following government planning website quite useful. They show which alterations can be classed as 'permitted development'  and which require a Planning Approval.

Please also see the 'Neighbour Consultation Scheme' below, which applies for larger extension during May 2013 to May 2019 (Single storey extensions up to 8 metres in depth)

Building Control Approval:-

The structural plans and associated calulations are required to be submitted to the Council Building Control for approval where new construction work is carried out, or changes are made to the existing structural or load bearing properties of the building. This requirement sometimes includes additional outbuildings or connections to a sewer etc. A useful list of structures requiring approval and alterations that can be classed as exemptions is available through the Government Planning Portal website

Larger Home Extensions: Neighbour Consultation Scheme:-

May 2013

Permitted development laws have been relaxed for single storey rear house extensions. All homeowners must follow the Neighbour Consultation Scheme before they can proceed with their house extension, whether they wish to build up to 6 metres deep for terraced and semi-detached houses, or 8 metres deep for detached houses.

The government has introduced this scheme regarding Permitted Development for single storey domestic house extensions. As of 9th May 2013, homeowners may be able to extend their home by 6 metres (previously 3 metres) at the rear for terraced and semi-detached houses, and 8 metres (previously 4 metres) at the rear for detached houses.

This is for single storey extensions only.

The legislation has been extended for a further three year period only until 30th May 2019, it is there to help homeowners increase their living accommodation without the need to go through the full planning application process. However, homeowners cannot just go ahead and build such extensions. The proposal must go through a ‘Neighbour Consultation Process’ with the local authority. This means the homeowner wishing to build a larger single storey rear extension must notify the local planning authority and provide:

  • A written description of the proposal with all key dimensions, such as depth, the height of the eaves, and the overall height of the extension at the highest point.
  • A plan of the site showing the proposed development.
  • The addresses of the adjoining neighbours, including the rear.
  • A contact address for the applicant/developer and an email address if the applicant/developer is happy to receive correspondence via email.

Although you have to go through this process, there is no fee payable by homeowners to the local authority, as ultimately the consultation procedure is only to ensure that neighbours will not be adversely affected by the development. Also, the determination period for this consultation is no more than 42 days so the process is much quicker than the timescales for full planning applications which is 8 weeks in total.